Move the figurine along the road while practicing letter names and sounds.
- Painter’s tape or rainbow masking tape
- Small figurines or counters
- Permanent marker
- Paper cup or envelope
On the wall, create 5 different horizontal paths (zig zag, up and down, etc.) using painter’s tape or rainbow masking tape. Secure a paper cup or envelope at the end of each path. Choose one letter for each line starting with the letters in your child’s name and then including some high-frequency letters next- s, a, t, p, i, n, c, g, m, k). Along a path, use a permanent marker to write the letter you’ve chosen several times leaving some space between each letter. Starting on the left side, move a small figurine or counter along the path to reach the cup or envelope at the end. As your figurine reaches a letter, identify its name and sound. Once the figurine has traveled across the path, drop it into the cup or envelope. Then, choose a new figurine and a new path.
- Alphabetic Knowledge- Identifies letters, numbers, characters, and symbols in print and understands that letters represent sounds.
- Phonological Awareness- Hears small units of sounds.
- Concepts of Print- Demonstrates print- and book handling knowledge.